Metro Transit - City of Madison, WI
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Safety Town Educator
at Metro Transit - City of Madison, WI
- General Description
This is a limited-term summer position working with young children in an educational setting. Safety Town is a program designed especially for children entering kindergarten in the fall that teaches children how to be safe in their community. Safety Town uses hands-on activities - taught in a small-scale city with streets, homes and sidewalks - to teach children about many different aspects of safety and injury prevention.
Safety Town Work Schedule:
Training: 8:00 - 12:00 p.m., Friday, July 26, 2019 (training/attendance is required)
Safety Town Sessions:
Preference will be given to individuals that can work all three sessions. Individuals that can work all five days of at least one session will be considered. Individuals that cannot commit to at least one full session will not be considered.
- July 29 - August 2, 2019, 8:30 - 11:30 a.m
- July 29 - August 2, 2019, 1:00 - 4:00 p.m
- August 5 - 9, 2019, 8:30 - 11:30 a.m
Location: Fire Station #14, 3201 Dairy Dr. Madison, WI 53718APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL THE CLOSING DATE, HOWEVER THE SELECTION PROCESS MAY BEGIN PRIOR TO THE CLOSING DATE BASED UPON THE NEEDS OF THE DEPARTMENT
Interviews can be available in the late afternoon and early evening to accommodate applicant's schedules.
This recruitment will fill up to 6 hourly positions to assist with Safety Town.
- Examples of Duties and Responsibilities
Serve as House Leader/Teaching
- Support presenters of health and safety lessons.
- Implement multi-faceted injury prevention activities.
- Assist in the development of appropriate downtime activities to challenge students and support daily learning concepts.
- Disseminate injury prevention materials as needed.
- Assist with lessons and experiential learning.
Manage care of young children
- Participate in the development and application of discipline strategies.
- Monitor children in restrooms and playground areas.
- Assist children with gathering personal belongings and teaching materials each day before they depart from Safety Town.
- Handle inappropriate behaviors consistently.
- Lead singing of Safety Town songs.
Provide auxiliary support of program
- Keep "house" organized. Prepare house for each session.
- Assist with set-up and clean-up for each session.
- Assist with special projects or needs.
Perform related work as required.
- Minimum Qualifications
- One year of experience working with or teaching young children in an organized educational program or child care program OR one year of experience working in health education, education or a human services related field.
- One year of college education in Public Administration, Public Safety, Public Health or Child Education.
- Possession of a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in health, health education, education, or a human services related field may be substituted for the experience requirements.
If an applicant does not possess the specific requirements outlined above, HR will review the application materials to determine if the applicant possesses the following equivalent experience:
Two years experience in applying the following:
- Teaching and educational methodologies for pre-K children.
Applicants must also possess the following abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse range of groups, professionals, agencies, community members and parents/children.
- Ability to follow and teach a curriculum.
- Ability to creatively enhance lessons through activities at the house.
- Ability to lead children in arts and crafts projects.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to establish positive relationships with parents of participating children.
- Ability to lead children in songs.
- Ability to maintain adequate attendance.
The City of Madison strives to provide exceptional customer service to all its residents and visitors. Therefore successful candidates will have demonstrated ability to effectively work with multicultural communities.
- Special Requirements
A criminal background check will be completed, which requires no record or history of crimes against people or property.
*The payroll title for this position is Management Intern 1.