Mayville Engineering Company Inc
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Tool & Die Maker Apprentice
at Mayville Engineering Company Inc
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Job Location: Address
- 715 South Street
- ZIP Code
MEC is looking for a Tool & Die Maker APPRENTICE.
This person will be part of the Wisconsin Industrial Trades Apprenticeship. During the apprenticeship the individual will lear to plan, lay out and perform all bench and machine operations to construct, alter and repair tools, dies, fixtures, gauges, etc. where a high degree of skill and an extensive knowledge of tooling practice and application is required. Work from complicated drawings and specifications, use a wide variety of precision instruments for exacting measurements. Lay out work and plan machining and bench procedures. Perform difficult machining operations requiring complicated set-ups involving the improvising of tooling and machines for adaptations beyond the normal range and capacities of available equipment. Perform close and exacting bench and assembly operations to fit, align, calibrate, adjust, assemble and finish work. May do development and experimental work, select allowances and materials, and proceed from own conception in absence of design and specifications. May assign work and instruct other tool room personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Studies specifications such as blueprints, sketches, models, or descriptions, and visualizes product to determine materials required and machines to be used to fabricate parts.
- Computes dimensions, plans layout, and determines assembly method and sequence of operations.
- Measures, marks, and scribes metal stock for machining.
- Sets up and operates machine tools such as lathes, milling machine, shaper, and grinder, to machine parts, and verifies conformance of machined parts to specifications.
- Lifts machined parts and positions and secures parts on surface plate or worktable.
- Smooth flat and contoured surfaces and power grinders, and fits and assembles parts together and into assemblies and mechanisms.
- Verifies dimensions, alignments, and clearances.
- Heat treats tools or parts.
- Connects wiring and hydraulic lines to install electrical and hydraulic components.
- Examines standard or previously used dies, tools, and jigs and fixtures, and recommends design modifications regarding construction and function of part.
- Develops specifications from general descriptions for specialty tools and draws or sketches design of product.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; four-year apprenticeship; or equivalent combination of education and experience. MEC is also willing to teach and train someone with no experience or education.
LANGUAGE SKILLS Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedures. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups, customers, and the general public.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS Ability to apply mathematical concepts such as geometry, algebra and statistics.
REASONING ABILITY Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of problems.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and use hands to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. This job requires repetitive use of hands and feet.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.