EnPro Industries, inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at EnPro Industries, inc.
Fairbanks Morse, an EnPro company, is seeking a Technical Writer to join our Advertising, Marketing, and Public Relations team in Beloit, WI. The Technical Writer will mainly be responsible for preparing technical manuals, maintenance standards, service information letters, and other documentation to meet customer deliverable requirements. Additionally, the Technical Writer will review technical information included in engineering drawings and other documents and translate that into clear language understandable to customers of varying knowledge levels. The Technical Writer will prepare both written copy and clear illustrations and drawings to complement the written text, using 2D and 3D illustration software.
The Technical Writer will be part of a world leader in engine technology that provides propulsion to the US Navy, US Coast Guard, and provides emergency power for nuclear power plants. Our engines weigh up to 250 tons and provide up to 33,500 horsepower to meet our customers' needs.
Note: 10% travel will be required. The Technical Writer position requires access or potential access to Unclassified Naval Nuclear Propulsion Information, which is Not Releasable to Foreign Nationals (NOFORN) data. Therefore, to meet NOFORN requirement, you will have to provide proof of US Citizenship and attest that you do not have dual citizenship. Acceptable proof of US Citizenship is a US Passport, US Birth Certificate or Naturalization Certificate.
Responsibilities of the Technical Writer:
- Prepare written copy and clear illustrations and drawings for technical manuals
- Work to meet contract commitments as scheduled, including validation activities
- Develop repair parts lists and illustrations using bills of material and engineering drawings
- Manage vendors that are providing data development resources
- Review specifications as they relate to technical manual deliverables and estimate effort required
- Read specifications and other contract documents and determine the types of technical documentation required
- Interact with FM Program Management, Engineering, Training, and Sales & Marketing groups and determine the scope and formatting necessary
- Develop data for the preparation of operation and maintenance (O&M) technical manuals, maintenance standards, service information letters (SILs) and other technical documents
- Draft text material as required for new, original technical documentation and prepare updates and revisions to existing or previously written technical documentation
- Prepare clear technical illustrations and graphic depictions to support the written text
- Prepare, organize, and deliver preliminary deliverable documentation; adjudicate and incorporate customer comments and corrections for the final deliverable documentation
Required Qualifications of the Technical Writer:
- Experience in a maintenance-related, technical writing environment with:
- 5+ years and an Associate’s Degree OR 7+ years and a High School Diploma or GED
- 3+ years of experience XML authoring, with experience developing and editing XML Schema and/or Stylesheet
- 3+ years of experience with 2D and 3D illustration and modeling software
Preferred Qualifications of the Technical Writer:
- Strong mechanical aptitude working on heavy machinery or engines
- Able to read blueprints, engineering orders, bills of material, and interpret contract specifications
- Experience with Oracle
- Excellent communication, problem solving, and organizational skills
Fairbanks Morse offers significant career development opportunities as well as salary and benefits packages including health and life insurance, 401(k) with company match, full tuition reimbursement, vacation, and paid holidays.
About Fairbanks Morse
Fairbanks Morse is the critical power solutions expert – a strategic partner and a trusted source for application-specific, fuel- flexible power systems that deliver optimal performance in mission critical applications. These applications include base load and standby power generation and emergency back-up power for nuclear plants; ship propulsion and shipboard power for the United States Navy and Coast Guard and commercial vessels, and mechanical drive applications such as crude oil and water pumping.
An EnPro Industries company, Fairbanks Morse can be found powering the world forward in a wide range of municipal, institutional and industrial applications. EnPro Industries is a diversified manufacturer of proprietary engineered products used in critical applications with more than 5000 people worldwide with products sold in over 100 countries across the globe.
As a division of EnPro Industries, we offer employees nearly unlimited opportunities to develop their professional interests and passions while also giving them the tools and resources to pursue their personal fulfillment outside of work.
EnPro Industries is an Equal Opportunity Employer.